Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cities going wireless

When WiMax becomes available many cities would be willing to become large hotspots. WiMax is build on the 802.16 standard, the newest wireless technology that can deliver up to 72 megabits per second per channel and has coverage up to 15 miles. Cities like Philadelphia are looking to build a 135 square mile network. This is good for people without internet connection and small businesses. Some things to remember is that it is a public network and may not be secure. You're also sharing bandwidth with a lot of people so the quality may not always be great. Don't make the wireless network your primary network as it may be vulnerable. http://tech.msn.com/howto/article.aspx?cp-documentid=812177&page=2

2 comments:

David said...

Philidelphia? Is that the first city in the United States that is going wireless? I heard of a major city in Japan that went wireless in like three years. Even though it is an unsecure network, it still makes all kinds of economical sense.

I also heard that somehow wireless activity is killing "bees". I heard that if bees become extinct that the planet could only survive for 4 years. I think Einstein said that. I heard it from a friend. I am too lazy too look into it, but I thought that was interesting.

I hope San Diego goes wireless. I hate bees!

Uncle Shanky.

htmstudent2007 said...

I guess this could make a user a lot vunerable, but I still think this is a good thing. We all take our PCs for granted, but there are still a lot of people, especially in major metropolitan areas, who do not have access to the Internet. This would give a lot of children a learning tool that their parents may not be able to afford.