Sunday, April 29, 2007

Free Trials, foe or friend?

When I bought my first laptop computer it came with all this stuff, trial versions of software and software I think I need. The problem, I wasn’t really sure of all the options of what I needed and wanted. So when I became more familiar I was already using what I was given. My concern was with deleting any of this stuff that the manufacturer had put on my computer before I bought it, because I didn’t know how it would affect the other programs. The unfortunate part of it all is that memory and speed are affected. But if you think about it, it really is smart business. So, pick and choose what they give you and then add what you want. Delete what you don’t use for the health of the computer.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9017206&intsrc=hm_list

1 comment:

SurfPup said...

I can't stand all the crap they put on PCs. I always build my own, so I don't experience this at home, but I've seen it at work and on friend's PCs.
One eye-opener is: Start/Run/MsConfig. (Windows 2000 doesn't come with MSConfig, but you can download it)
Then click on the startup tab and see all the junk that's running on your PC. This is stuff that's sitting in the background, consuming your precious memory. Most items in the startup are not necessary. Google the items to find out what they are, and uncheck any items that aren't essential. If something doesn't work right afterwards, you can go back in and change it back. You will probably have entries for your virus scanner here, and if you uncheck them, it won't function properly.
It's important to make sure that you receive a Operating System CD with your computer. Some makers don't give you one!
As long as you have that, you can always format the drive and start over. I do this about every 7-12 months anyway.
If your OS install is much over a year old, you won't believe how much faster your PC is after a format and a fresh install.
Besides backing up any data files, Internet favorites, email, etc., make you have any necessary drivers before you start.
If you are missing a necessary driver, and the OS doesn't recognize your hardware, you could end up unable to access the Internet or your hard drive, and then won't be able to download any needed drivers. You'll have to use a friend's machine.

Surfpup