Monday, April 30, 2007

Social security Number...

Most people have SSN in the U.S.

I just met my friend last week and he told me that his SSN was used by someone else to make four credit card in Wells Fargo bank.

He said that the personal information can be stollen by someone who knows how to get them.

I really do not know how to prevent this happen.

Anyone has any idea that we can prevent from this incident?

If I put all my information in my computer security soft isnt enough for it??

Should I get something else??

1 comment:

SurfPup said...

I think giving your social security number out to as few people as possible would help. The more computers out there that could be holding that information, the better chance that someone will hack into one and get it.
I know the IRS demands it. Who else really needs it. Your school? Your doctor? Do they really need this information?
It occurs to me that your SSN is a poor thing to give out. I know people want it because it represents a "unique key" for a person. I wouldn't keep my SSN on my personal computer. It probably does not have the protection that a server "should" have.
Sorry, wish I knew more about this topic.

Surfpup