Thursday, April 26, 2007

Who Needs to Learn Spanish Anyway?

I am currently enrolled in Spanish 102 trying to meet the university's language requirement. This morning we were learning how to conjugate verbs into command form. For example, telling someone to sit down, go to sleep, post a blog, and things like these. While in class this morning I was thinking about on-line translation tools. I have heard people in my class talking about AltaVista-Babel Fish Translation, but never looked into it. I decided I would finally check it out.

I discovered that there are all kinds of online language translators. Some are better than others in that the translation is more accurate. I don't think there is one out that can accurately capture complete expressions, but they come pretty close. I am not fluent in spanish, but I can stumble my way through a conversation.

A week ago I received an email in spanish from someone who I will be working with this weekend in Ensenada, Mexico. I only understood certain parts of the email. I cut and pasted the email to a free online translator. After that I was able to get the jist of what this person was asking me. Online translators turned out to be a pretty good tool.

The business application here is that you do not need to know spanish to understand an email in spanish. Just translate it online. However, if you will be doing business with spanish speakers, it would be a mistake not to learn the language.

Uncle Shanky.

2 comments:

htmstudent2007 said...

Online translators are awesome!! I am taking 201 this semester and started using it. I also use studyspanish.com and if you use the free grammer tutorials it's so easy to understand the language patterns. They break everything down to the basics. It will definitely help you. There are a lot of free study tools online. I wish I had used them in high school! The learning tools that are available now are incredible. ¡La buena suerte con su clase!

David said...

SWEET!,

It's about time I got some feedback on a blog. Thanks for the website address, I'll check it out and use next semester for sure. I'll probably use a lot of the study tools alos.

Uncle Shanky.