Thursday, April 26, 2007

New Report Says There are 12 Million U.S. Bloggers, 57 Million U.S. Blog Readers

This is very interesting on how many use blogger as their journal to discuss about politics. Below are the percentage of blog users. The highest percentage is 54% of bloggers who are under 30 years old.

Among the report's findings:
Here's what bloggers blog about:

37% of bloggers use them as personal journals
11% blog about government and politics
7% blog about entertainment
6% blog about sports
5% blog about general news and current events.
54% of bloggers are under 30, evenly split between men and women.
Where bloggers live:

More than half live in the suburbs
One-third live in urban areas
13% live in rural areas.
Bloggers are less likely to be white than the general internet population, which is 74% white. Of bloggers:

60% are white
19% are Hispanic
11% are African-American
10% identified themselves as members of some other race.
52% of bloggers said that they are blogging for themselves.
52% of bloggers said that their major reason for blogging was to express themselves creatively.
50% of bloggers said that their major reason for blogging was to document and share personal experiences

2 comments:

David said...

Interesting findings. I would guess that 100% of both classes started blogging for the grade, and now at least 50% are doing it for pleasure. Just kidding. However, I do believe that I've been bitten by the blogging bug. What to do?

Your statistical findings were disturbing. I wonder if the two 52%'s were the same group.

How did they gather their information? How do they know that 60% are white? I read an article called, "What's White, Anyway?" I don't know that classifying poeple can be done the way your findings suggested. But it was great to see that people are actually gathering information on bloggers.

Uncle Shanky.

htmstudent2007 said...

I don't know about everyone, but I know what Uncle Shanky said is somewhat true for me. I didn't blog before this class, but now that I've had to it is kind of fun. I don't know how much I'll continue because I don't have time to blog, but I would definitely use this tool if it become available in a work environment.