Monday, April 30, 2007

Netflix's video on demand

I decided to try out Netflix's Watch Now Option that allows you to view a movie instantly through a streaming Internet download. I have to say I was pretty pleased. There was never a hiccup once during the entire 2 hour movie. You can pause at any time. The video quality was pretty good. The viewer allows you to scale the image to full-screen. I took a screenshot so that you can judge the quality yourself. I am running Windows XP at 1600 x 1200 resolution, and I have an Nvidia 7900GT which is doing the scaling using Nvidia's PureVideo. Your results may vary depending on your video card and Internet conncection speed.


Nvidia cards that support PureVideo http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

ATI has cards with excellent scaling, too.


Surfpup



Update:
Oops, the screenshots are blank now. There must be some kind of digital rights management (DRM) that prevents you from taking snapshots of the movies. They are probably afraid that you could use software to snapshot the whole movie and keep a copy. :( I'm bummed. This is why we all need to vote with our dollars to not support anything with DRM.

Surfpup

No comments: