Saturday, February 03, 2007

Blog Topic of the Week

I think that MIS, if used correctly, are systems that make it easier for a business to do what it wants to do and what it already does. For example, accounting tasks can be done by hand, but QuickBooks makes the task much easier. Some examples of MIS are touch-screen voting. Voting can be done by hand, but this MIS technology makes it easier for the government (a business) to achieve its goals and objectives. Other examples of MIS are wiretapping systems and an online hotel reservation systems.

I use MIS when I register through CSUSM's online registration system or when I use the self-check-in station at the airport. Right now I am connected to MIS mainly through my everyday life, but once I get my degree in accounting I will be connected to MIS daily through my job.

I think that this course will benefit in two main ways. First, I am not very technologically savvy and this course will force me to learn more about technology. This course will challenge me to step outside my technology comfort zone and the knowledge that I will gain will be important for my career. The second benefit I will get from this course is that I will understand technology better and not get frustrated as often with my computer. I am sure that my computer will appreciate me yelling at it less :) I look forward to learning about MIS this semester and blogging with y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I am not computer savvy as well. I can relate to yelling at the computer when it make an eroneous error.