Tuesday, February 20, 2007

MIS

I think a lot of companies use the titles Information Systems and Information Techonology interchangeabley, without really paying attention to the difference. They just kind of mean "the computer department." (My last job was in a MIS department, and my current job is in the IT department -- same thing.)
Now that I've read the book, I can say I actually understand the difference.
"Information technology refers to the products, methods, inventions, and standards that are used for the purpose of producing information."
"... an infomation system is a group of components that interact to produce information." [Usually a computer system.]
Hey, after all these years, I finally understand my job titles. :)

Surfpup

1 comment:

Fang said...

Undersanding the difference, you will know that why you come to business school to learn IS instead of going to computer science department to learn IT. Glad you clear it up. :)