Monday, February 12, 2007

COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE SURF

To whom it may concern:
Based on the read in chapter 2 and other readings Wikipedia describes competitive advantage (CA). "(CA) is a position that a firm occupies in its competitive landscape. Michael Porter posits that a competitive advantage, sustainable or not, exists when a company makes economic rents, that is, their earnings exceed their costs (including cost of capital). That means that normal competitive pressures are not able to drive down the firm's earnings to the point where they cover all costs and just provide minimum sufficient additional return to keep capital invested. Most forms of competitive advantage cannot be sustained for any length of time because the promise of economic rents drives competitors to duplicate the competitive advantage held by any one firm."
Create a new product or service:
In terms of my personal competitive advantage with MIS, I am considering myself as the product and service to sell in the market of business management. Most business are looking for an competitive advantage to their competitors.

Enhance products or services:
The method on how I am going to sell my product is to enhance the my knowledge with Information System (IS). The more I can make my self more knowledgeable in MIS, this will give me the confidence in being able to assure the company interested in hiring me that I will help enhance there product and services to compete in the market place.

Differentiate products or services:
IS can provide support for their product in the market. Having a IS department which can develop a system to give technical support is a way differentiate from other distributor/manufacturers.

Lock in customers and buyers:
Establishing a high switching cost in for my client is something they have to consider, once I have established my product and services. On the other hand, If a firm hires me than they will or should be certain that I will develop a system where their on customer will have a hard time switching.

Lock in suppliers:
The same concept as in Lock in customer and buyer will apply here too.

Raise barriers to market entry:
The source of the advantage can be something the company does that is distinctive and difficult to replicate, which intern creates a barrier in the market place.

Establish alliances:
Establishing an alliance with another company will take a greater understanding on how to apply the Information in such a way where other organization work with your system simultaneously.With out interruption with order and development of the product.

Reduce costs:
Now if the company hires me and all the knowledge I have accumulated through the years of experience and education. Organization will need data and information system to help the company to reduce cost, of the product or services they offer in their product.

I believe my personal competitive advantage is , I have multiple years of experience and a few years of education that will differentiate my product and services from other people in the market of business management.

Raul

No comments: